Supporters

How the service is funded

We are a registered charity and rely on generating income from a number of sources to run the service.

Grants

Less than twenty per cent of our turnover comes from public sector grants.

We have Service Level Agreements in place with many of our funders so they know the type and level of service they can expect to see delivered with their grant.

These are the organisations that have granted money in 2019/20 and the service their funding supports:

Waverley Borough Council £108,000

Funding towards the cost of running the dial a ride service for the benefit of residents in Waverley.

Surrey County Council £47,000

Funding towards the cost of running the dial a ride service for the benefit of residents in Waverley.

Royal Surrey County Hospital £15,000

Contribution goes towards funding Hospital hoppa.

Farnham Town Council £10,000

Financial support for the Demand Responsive Transport (DRT) service we operate in Farnham.

Godalming Town Council £5,000

Contribution helps to fund the Hospital hoppa service for Godalming residents.

Haslemere Town Council £5,000

Contribution helps to fund the Hospital hoppa service for Haslemere residents.

Care in Haslemere Approx £3,000

Donation of £5 for every journey made on the Haslemere Hospital hoppa service. The money is reinvested in the service.

Chiddingfold Parish Council £1,000

Funding towards the cost of running the dial a ride service for the benefit of residents in Chiddingfold.

Grants and sponsorship for one-off projects

We have been able to progress a number of projects thanks to one-off grants and sponsorship from supporters. Some of our most recent projects include:

Hospital to Home bus

In 2019, a grant worth nearly £26,000 was awarded to hoppa in recognition of the contribution it makes towards improving the quality of life for people in rural Surrey. The LEADER grant went towards funding the purchase of a new bus for our Hospital to Home service.

LEADER is a grant programme from the Rural Development Programme for England which is funded by the European Agricultural Fund for Rural Development. The LEADER grant covered 76% of the cost of the new vehicle and we funded the remaining balance of 24%.

To meet demand for the Hospital to Home service, in 2020 we set about raising the money to buy a second bus and were thrilled to be invited by the Rural Development Programme for England to apply for a second grant. We were awarded just over £27,000 which has been topped up by a donation of £1,085 from Aviva.

The balance has been covered by hoppa.

Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)

To enable passengers and drivers to travel safely during the coronavirus pandemic, we need to spend an additional £20,000 per year on gloves, aprons, face masks, visors, hand sanitiser and cleaning materials. This is not an expense we had budgeted for, so we are grateful to the following supporters for their contribution:

The Community Foundation for Surrey £5,000
The Farnham Institute Charity £1,000

Sat nav

We have installed satellite navigation in our fleet of vehicles. By making use of technology, we expect to reduce journey times, fuel bills, maintenance bills and insurance premiums, and improve our environmental sustainability.

Thank you to the following supporters for contributing towards this project:

The Community Foundation for Surrey £2,500
The Farnham Institute Charity £2,000
Tesco £2,000
Waitrose £300

Community bus for Farnham

In 2017 we were able to raise enough money to buy a new community bus for Farnham thanks to the generosity of the following:

Farnham Town Council £10,000
Waverley Borough Council £5,000
Councillor Pat Frost, Surrey County Council £3,566
Lions Club of Farnham £2,800
The Farnham Institute Charity £2,500
The Hedgehogs £2,000
BBS Ltd (Bob & Pat Frost) £2,000
The Rotary Club of Farnham £1,000
hoppa passengers £1,050
The Bourne Show £1,000
digi.me Limited £1,000

Contract funding

Nearly 80 per cent of our income is generated by our contract work. This is where we are contracted to deliver a specific service for an agreed period of time. The majority of our contract work involves taking passengers to school, day care centres and clinics or from hospital to home. 

Ad hoc funding

This is for one-off service requests such as providing a park and ride service for a community event or delivering MiDAS training or group travel.

Donations

From time to time, we receive personal donations from people who have used the service

We also take part in a number of fundraising initiatives so people can make an indirect donation. This includes supporting hoppa through shopping sites such as Amazon Smile or donating an old car via Giveacar.

Find out more about legacy giving and how to make a personal donation.